My hubris was my downfallMar 16th 2022
Hello! So, my blog was offline for a month here, just got it back online. And now, what is this.. ~ 4 years of posts are missing? Well, what happened? Like always, it was a problem of my own creation.
- Write own blogging engine
- Import years of Wordpress content into it
- Be so pleased with it that I don't think to ever back up MariaDB, because my system is flawless!
- Set up gitea on the same box
- Don't pay attention to the fact that many, many repos are getting added
- Storage fills up
- MariaDB has a heart attack
- I don't realize the space issue, and think maybe I just need to restart box. That has 0 bytes free
- Restart box, MariaDB corrupts its data when it tries to restart
- Figure out it's a space issue, clear space
- Try every trick in the book to restore MariaDB data, but hopelessly corrupted
- Give up, set up new instance and move everything over
So, my friends let that be a lesson to you. Back up your content! I do sort of have my archives, but I'll need to manually update this to backfill them. So I expect about 1-2 a week.